After discovering the break-in this morning at 7:00am, we spent the rest of the day down at the central police station. I was elected to go down with the volunteer coordinator first thing in the morning, and it was quite the experience. It felt like something out of the Wild West, with chickens running around in the dusty courtyard and giant cells lining the inside of the building. After an hour wait we got an inspector to come to the house, where he started his report and viewed the mangle remains of our living room window. All of us then had to go back down to the station, where I got to have my very own Senegalese Law and Order experience as I had to give the testimony for all of the volunteers en francais. There's not much of a chance that I will ever see my things again, but part of me is still hoping. I went to the market today to get a new cell phone, and continuing with my bad luck it isn't working, so I will have to get it fixed demain. We're all having beer and a big feast ce soir to try to reclaim our house, though I have a feeling that not too many of us will be sleeping tonight. We'll muddle on through though.
Rattled but not broken,
Jess
2 comments:
This is sounding like more adventure then you planned for. Hope that Tostan can address the security issue at the house. Sounds like it must have been more then one burglar and you were very lucky. Do take care.
Post pictures if you have any.
Wow Jess, that's scary! I'm so thankful that you and your housemates were unharmed!
Post a Comment