Senegal is beautiful - it still hasn't hit me yet that I'm going to be spending the next year of my life working here. The heat is taking a little getting used to, but I'm very lucky that I arrived during the slightly cooler season, as it will give me time some time to adjust. I had a quick visit to the Dakar Tostan office and got my first taste of Cheb U Yap (rice and beef) served in a huge bowl with everyone kneeling around. After eating and picking up my reading materials, it was off to Thies in a cab with another volunteer. Despite only being 70 km away, the journey took over 4 hours and gave me the first taste of Senegalese traffic as well as how painfully hot it can be in a cab when all of the windows are up to keep the rain out! It was amazing though being able to look out the window and watch the people and the landscapes - it is so different from back home but at the same time so similar (it's hard to explain). The volunteer house in Thies is really nice - it will be a great home base for the first little while, and I'm looking forward to getting to know all the other (15!) volunteers when they arrive next week.
We are still in Thies for the rest of the day, but we will be heading off to Linguere tomorrow (finger's crossed it only takes 9 hours) for about a week before orientation starts. I'm excited to have at least a basic understanding of Senegal before training starts, and it will definitely inspire me to learn as much wolof as I possibly can. My inner girl is also very excited to have a Senegalese outfit made up - sad I know, though I am suffering from some Project Runway deprivation. Thank you to everyone who is reading this blog - I'll try to update as regularly as possible, electricty and internet permitting.
Til next time,
Jess
PS - the above photo was taken in the cab on the way to Thies. Thank you so much Isabelle for recommending that I get a fan - it was a life-saver. Also note the horse-drawn carriage on the highway in the upper left hand corner - have I mentioned yet that I love Senegal?
3 comments:
Glad to hear that you made it!! Can't wait to hear about the adventure
Now that the eagle has landed can you say "That is one step for woman and a giant leap for womankind";) thanks to Neil Armstrong for the inspiration. Glad to see u look so happy and so does C.
Jess
Great to hear you arrived safely. When Cruger told us on the phone from the airport that he couldn't find you or the plane and, that there were hurricance-force winds, it was a little disconcerting (I guess you're harder to spot in a Dakar crowd then I thought you would be).
I'm sure that was just the first of the many exciting adventures you'll experience.
Enjoy!
Post a Comment