Monday, March 30, 2009

Tackling the Development "Boulder"

I know I haven't been updating as regularly as I should be lately, but it's been rather crazy (though to be fair, when has it not? I do live in rural, sub-saharan Senegal after all...). I've spent most of my time lately running around the region (an epic 6 hour trip to go the 250km to Ourossogui, several trips to Podor, and a couple more to Gamadji Sare), avoiding large groups of people during election time (though I did score an awesome campaign tshirt), organizing the office (a constant uphill struggle), entertaining the Belgians (a film crew came to survey for a documentary, as one of their exact quotes was "so you actually live out here?!?"), cooking with Cruger during his visit (I was finally given a hot plate, so we christened it by making some mean pasta dishes), typing up village portraits in french (I have 3.5 books filled with notes from my 3 week tournee), and struggling with a monster of a UNICEF report (due in a couple of days, despite the fact that we're still missing March's statistics). That's a lot of stuff to be juggling on top of the 40+ degree celcius heat and lack of water!

I'm happy to report that while I'm still slaving away at most of the other things (with the exception of the cooking as Cruger had to head back to Linguere), I have just finished my 28 page UNICEF report, entirely "en francais", complete with beautiful pictures from my tournee, a table of contents, a list of abbreviations, and an index with excel sheets. My anal-retentiveness paid off, as my boss said it was the most detailed and thorough report of the region's activities that he's ever seen. While that's at least one task down, why am I starting to feel like Sisyphus?

No comments: