Monday, January 26, 2009

I saw Santa....in Dakar?!?

One of the first things that Cruger and I did when we got to Dakar was go to the brand new Casino, a french chain of super-markets. A new one had opened up near to the hotel where we were staying, inside of what can only be described as a mini strip-mall, complete with a dry-cleaners, sports store, Diesel outlet, and coffee shop. It was completely surreal - we could have been back home, which is exactly what drew us to the place. While it's a terrible symbol of consumerism and the divide that seperates the average Senegalese from the middle-class/wealthy Senegalese and ex-pats, it's something that Senegal needs in a strange way. It's an escape for people, a safe haven and an example of why multi-nationals should invest in the country '- it's where they can go to get away from the crowded streets, the talibes (young boys who beg in order to theoretically" learn humility and the Koran), and garbage/human waste pilled in the streets. If it is a reason for them to stay and invest in the country, so much the better. I'm not condoning it necessarily, but I certainly understand it (for the record, I live on less than $2 a day out here, and the Casino literally blew my mind). The best part about the whole experience, however, was the fact that they even had a Santa at the entrance to the mall. A skinny, slightly sullen, black Santa with a fake beard and white rain boots. It was a wonderful reminder that despite all the glitz, unessessary packaging, fois gras (?!?), and well-lit, sterile aisles, we were still in Senegal. I think our enthusiasm to have our picture taken with him pretty much made his day too.



PS - Cruger did cut his hair about a week after this photo was taken, just in case you were wondering...

No comments: