Saturday, December 6, 2008

Somewhere in the Desert

So I've moved to Ndioum, which is 200km to the Northeast of Ourossogui. While I don't have the internet, I do at least have running water (no more bucket baths!) and my own bedroom, which is pretty exciting. After cranking out some UNICEF reports and getting the office set up, I'm currently in the town of Medina, which is a 6km horsecart ride away from Aram (where my boss in Ndioum is from), where I'm spending Tabaski, followed by a concert by Baaba Maal (a very popular Senegalese singer). There's no power or running water in Aram, but I'm staying in Sarah, the village's Peace Corps volunteer's, hut, and we've been having a blast. I'm the first visitor she's had (she arrived at the same time as Cruger), so we've been going all out. It's going to be an interesting 9 days in the village, but I'm hoping that some Pulaar will start to stick, and it will be quite the adventure for Tabaski. I may or may not have access to the internet until after Christmas (when we will be getting it in the office, inch'allah) so in the meantime if you need/want to get a hold of me give me a shout on the cell phone (+221771409072) or give cruger a shout at cadnnfl@mta.ca and he'll try to pass along the message. Happy holidays to everyone back home!

PS; I almost got run over by a camel in the market today. A camel. How cool is that?!?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jess

Great to hear you've moved to a new place with some ammenities. Looking forward to seeing some pics of the new digs. Watch out for those camels!