Saturday, October 25, 2008

There's no such thing as a "head's up" in Senegal

Things just happen here at the office, most of the time without any warning. I've lost track of the number of times my boss has told me we have to rush to a meeting, only for it to hit me 5 minutes later that here I am going to a meeting with a bunch of UN reps that I'm completely unqualified for. It's humbling, frustrating, and rewarding, all at the same time. It also means that it is impossible to plan more than a couple hours in advance, if that. It's an extremely busy time here at the office, with a huge delegation coming from Sweden to visit a bunch of projects, a public declaration against FGC (Female Genital Cutting) happening in a number of villages, a new UNICEF literacy partnership, a UNFPA FGC partnership, Sigrid Rausing Foundation funding applications due, a new office opening up in Ndioum (about 200km away), a bunch of new donors, and the list goes on. I will try to be better about writing about all the work I'm doing, but it might be a while before I have the time to sit down at a computer and do it justice. Till then, I will keep on putting up pictures, videos, and short notes to give you a glimpse into my crazy life out here in the Fouta. Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jess - Your work is sounding very exciting. The pace sounds more North American than African.

Keep us posted and love the photos and video clip.